Gwen woke up in the middle of the night, so we brought her into bed with us to help her settle. But she kept wiggling, and whining, and rubbing her eyes, and crying. I finally turned the lights on and put on my glasses to see what was wrong. To my shock, Gwen's left eye had totally swollen shut! I tried to open her eye to see what was going on and the eye was so swollen I couldn't see her eye, just pink swollen flesh. Tanner and I were so worried something bad had happened to her eye, we quickly decided to take her to the Emergency. Gwen kept rubbing her eyes, but was able to calm down a bit when she knew I wasn't trying to get her to sleep. She even started to laugh and smile when she knew I was letting stay awake and play :) At the hospital, we found out that Gwen also had a skin rash all over her body. We thought at first that she was having a bad allergic reaction to something. Luckily the emergency room wasn't busy at all and we were able to see a doctor after only a couple of hours of waiting (which is wicked fast! Usually you would have to wait 4+ hours). After some questions and more tests, the doctor determined that Gwen wasn't having an allergic reaction, nor was it a bacterial infection, but that it was a VIRAL infection. I hate to hear the word viral, because that means that you can't really do anything about it, no meds, no nothing. You just have to let it run its course. In the end, we were happy we made the choice to go to the hospital as it gave us peace of mind. Gwen did really well and was able to have a good time. She slept like a baby afterwards and even slept in until 10:00, which means I did too :) Poor Tanner had to wake up and leave for work at 7:30. Today, Gwen seems to be doing okay. She's still pretty sick, but she's in good spirits. What a trooper she is.
| Gwen's Eye, when the swelling started to lift and we were able to see he eye a little. |
| Thumbs-Up in the Waiting Room :) |
Aw poor girly!! Hope she feels well again soon!!
ReplyDeleteWow, I wonder what the other baby looks like! Ha ha. ADRIENNE!! Ok, all kidding aside, I hope she gets better fast! Poor Gwen!
ReplyDeleteHaha! Now that you mention it, she looks like a little Rocky :)
ReplyDeleteOh Jenny, we had a similar experience with Grace when she was 6 months old - high fever for a few days, she couldn't sleep, all she wanted to do was be held and sit there. We took her to the hospital and after a couple hours of poking and prodding (they had to take a urine sample with a catheter) they said that it's viral, let it work it's way out. Ugh. I'm sure she is better by now; sick babies break my heart. Love, Marion
ReplyDelete